Friday, May 18, 2012

Alpha Stamps Yahoo Group Challenge

Hiya! Over at the Alpha Stamps Yahoo Groups there's a reproduction challenge going on. The idea is to take techniques shared by Nichola Battilana of Pixie Hill and Alpha Stamp's design team and make your own version of her faerie folk specimen jars (holding official proof that the faeries exist!). Around the Internets you might know her as Knickertwist, too.

Here's a link to her Pixie Hill Studio shop so you can see how the professional does it... and here's my reproduction:


The jar is 1 5/8" tall and a minute 1/2" wide. That's small! The label reads:

Faerie Specimen 1.001
Found in a shipping box with this tag attached: "Canada or Bust!"

It's kind of a joke since Nichola just happens to be my swap partner on a Craftster swap and I'll be sending a wicked forest-themed matchbox her way in a week or two. Yea, she's in Canada...

The mushrooms are made with paper clay and painted with shimmery paint. There's a bit of glare from the lights on the glass, but that doesn't disguise the fact that I definitely need practice on my dots. :) It was fun (and kinda hard) to make, though!


Thanks for sharing your technique, Knickers! I can only hope I win the prize of fabulous Pixie Hill art stuffs... :)

Thanks for visiting today!

Cheers,
Susan

3 comments:

Nichola said...

It's awesome! Well done :)

Shirley Hatfield said...

As a collector of red/white mushroom knicky-knacks...I would buy something like that in a New York minute! So cute I could cry! =D

CuddlyBunny said...

This is so sweet and wonderful and amazing!

"Canada or Bust!" ... hilarious!